Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Budget Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RMalcolm

PostSubject: New Budget Thread   Mon 12 Jan 2009, 6:18 pm

I started a new thread, so comments would not get lost in the long other threads. The administrator can feel free to append this topic to the others if they see fit.

Here is my observation of this forum from the initial messages I just reviewed.

It seems so far to be dedicated to defending the status quo. I realize the administrator and other school district officials cannot get into contentious discussions about the budget, but there are some simple things that need to be considered. They include:

1. There is not enough money to fund education in its current format.
2. If the difference is made up with excessive taxation, people stop paying. Families are leaving Schenectady and NY for this very reason.
3. People with no jobs and no money (soon to be 25% unemployment nationwide) cannot pay taxes. The money is not available.
4. The budget discussion can make hard choices now and try to help people stay in Schenectady and in their homes or put them off until later.

This budget crisis is at the point of people losing homes due to mortgages, taxes, etc. Everyone in NY and the US is going to be adversely impacted by the coming depression. The sooner everyone understands that, the better we will be and we can move on with making hard decisions about all state services including education.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Budget Thread   Tue 13 Jan 2009, 1:45 pm

RMalcolm wrote:
I started a new thread, so comments would not get lost in the long other threads. The administrator can feel free to append this topic to the others if they see fit.

Here is my observation of this forum from the initial messages I just reviewed.

It seems so far to be dedicated to defending the status quo. I realize the administrator and other school district officials cannot get into contentious discussions about the budget, but there are some simple things that need to be considered. They include:

1. There is not enough money to fund education in its current format.
2. If the difference is made up with excessive taxation, people stop paying. Families are leaving Schenectady and NY for this very reason.
3. People with no jobs and no money (soon to be 25% unemployment nationwide) cannot pay taxes. The money is not available.
4. The budget discussion can make hard choices now and try to help people stay in Schenectady and in their homes or put them off until later.

This budget crisis is at the point of people losing homes due to mortgages, taxes, etc. Everyone in NY and the US is going to be adversely impacted by the coming depression. The sooner everyone understands that, the better we will be and we can move on with making hard decisions about all state services including education.

A: The current financial situation around the state and country has certainly made us all more aware of the need to examine our spending and limit any increase in property taxes. The problem - the only way a school district can raise revenue is to increase property taxes, certainly making the problem worse. Each year districts must ask for more money from the local taxpayers or eliminate or reduce services because the costs continue to increase. Compared to surrounding districts, our tax increases have been very low. Over the past four years, Schenectady's school tax increases have been as low as 0% and as high as 3.9%.

This school administration and board of education are committed to limiting our spending while striving to maintain class sizes, remedial programs and advanced academic programs necessary to provide a well rounded education for children of all abilities and interests. Our enrollment, which is currently at 10,400 students, also continues to increase. Again, with this current fiscal climate, we face an uphill battle.

You are correct. Difficult decisions will be made over the next few months. Consequently, our district will eliminate some programs, positions and services. That is just a hard fact. At the same time, we are approaching this from a “challenge and opportunity” standpoint. While we face these economic and educational challenges, we also view this as the perfect opportunity to examine everything we do. Everything is on the table. Throughout the coming months, we will be exploring new and more efficient and effective ways. We will be looking at everything from operations to the approach we take with students in the classroom. Most importanty, we will provide a quality education to our students.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
tjd

PostSubject: program elimination   Tue 20 Jan 2009, 9:12 am

when will parents find out what programs could be eliminated? Will there be discussions open to the public first?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Budget Thread   Tue 20 Jan 2009, 2:33 pm

tjd wrote:
when will parents find out what programs could be eliminated? Will there be discussions open to the public first?

A: The board will hold their annual budget meetings in the next few months. However, the schedule of these meetings has not yet been determined. When the schedule is set, we will publicize them in many ways including the website and discussion board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Budget Thread   Today at 2:02 am

Back to top Go down

New Budget Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1