Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Budget Q and A

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Budget Q and A   Wed 17 Dec 2008, 11:37 am

If you have a question you would like to ask Superintendent Ely regarding the Budget, please post it here. The Superintendent will respond on the discussion board as soon as possible.

Thank you.


Last edited by Admin on Fri 23 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Sandra



Posts : 113
Join date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: What is the outlook for discretionary funds for the remainder of the school year   Fri 19 Dec 2008, 7:58 pm

Hello Superintendent Ely,

Some of the schools in the district or high school houses spent part of their discretionary field trip money while others did not before the funds were frozen. How much was saved by freezing some discretionary funds and will this help to prepare for the upcoming budget crunch if Governor Paterson has his way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Discretionary Funds   Fri 19 Dec 2008, 10:46 pm

Sandra wrote:
Hello Superintendent Ely,

Some of the schools in the district or high school houses spent part of their discretionary field trip money while others did not before the funds were frozen. How much was saved by freezing some discretionary funds and will this help to prepare for the upcoming budget crunch if Governor Paterson has his way?

A: At this point we are being very conservative in our spending. We are still not certain to avoid midyear cuts and the fiscal outlook going forward is not good based on the governor's budget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Sandra



Posts : 113
Join date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Discretionary funds question continued   Sat 20 Dec 2008, 8:28 am

How much did the district save so far by freezing discretionary funds for the schools?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr.NHK



Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Budget and Schenectady High School.   Sat 20 Dec 2008, 3:22 pm

It is understood that Paterson plans on slashing funds for eduation and some changes to the District Budget will have to be made . How will the changes in the budget effect programs at Schenectady High School, namely, The International Baccalaureate Programme?

Moreover, It has been obvserved that the Schenectady School District has a lot of staff at the administrative level and obviously payscale (no offense). If it came down to letting people go as the only major way to help balance the budget, would teachers be fired first, and positions consolidated, or would administrative positions be consolidated, and some administators let go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Discretionary Funds   Sat 20 Dec 2008, 4:12 pm

Sandra wrote:
How much did the district save so far by freezing discretionary funds for the schools?

A: We have not quantified that amount. Each day discretionary spending requests are received, reviewed by me or Dr. San Angelo (Assistant Superintendent for Business), and either approved or denied. We do not keep a record of these requests.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Budget   Sat 20 Dec 2008, 11:18 pm

Mr.Black wrote:
It is understood that Paterson plans on slashing funds for eduation and some changes to the District Budget will have to be made . How will the changes in the budget effect programs at Schenectady High School, namely, The International Baccalaureate Programme?

Moreover, It has been obvserved that the Schenectady School District has a lot of staff at the administrative level and obviously payscale (no offense). If it came down to letting people go as the only major way to help balance the budget, would teachers be fired first, and positions consolidated, or would administrative positions be consolidated, and some administators let go?

A: The Governor's budget proposal, as it stands, will necessitate severe cuts across the board throughout the district at all grade levels and in all job categories.

We will work very hard to find as many ways to cut the budget that do not affect the class sizes, mandated programming and those programs that serve the needs of the most children. However, as with any school district, over 60% of our District's annual budget is in personnel costs so any cuts will affect personnel in every area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Sandra



Posts : 113
Join date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Are sports at risk   Sun 21 Dec 2008, 12:29 am

Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/paretns to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr.NHK



Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Sun 21 Dec 2008, 7:46 pm

Sandra wrote:
Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/parents to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?

Kind of like what was televised I think a couple years ago, where the school disctrict did not have the funds to continue athletics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Are sports at risk?   Mon 22 Dec 2008, 3:05 pm

Sandra wrote:
Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/paretns to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?

A: At this point, all programs, courses and activities not mandated by the State Department of Education are under consideration. It would be premature to speculate on the level of possible cuts or the possibility of alternative funding sources at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Mr.NHK



Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Tue 23 Dec 2008, 7:15 am

Admin wrote:
Sandra wrote:
Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/paretns to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?

A: At this point, all programs, courses and activities not mandated by the State Department of Education are under consideration. It would be premature to speculate on the level of possible cuts or the possibility of alternative funding sources at this point.


When will there be a definite idea on the level of cuts, and possibilities of alternate funding sources?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Tue 23 Dec 2008, 9:10 am

Mr.Black wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sandra wrote:
Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/paretns to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?

A: At this point, all programs, courses and activities not mandated by the State Department of Education are under consideration. It would be premature to speculate on the level of possible cuts or the possibility of alternative funding sources at this point.


When will there be a definite idea on the level of cuts, and possibilities of alternate funding sources?

A: Only after the final state budget is approved. Many discussions will take place over the next few months. Priorities will be determined and a variety of cuts will be identified.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
moab



Posts : 14
Join date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: athletics   Tue 23 Dec 2008, 7:26 pm

If cuts are made later there may not be time for parents or participants to even think about fundraising. Why can't administration make a guess now on whether sports are at risk so motivated teams and individuals can plan ahead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr.NHK



Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Tue 23 Dec 2008, 8:13 pm

Admin wrote:
Mr.Black wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sandra wrote:
Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/paretns to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?

A: At this point, all programs, courses and activities not mandated by the State Department of Education are under consideration. It would be premature to speculate on the level of possible cuts or the possibility of alternative funding sources at this point.


When will there be a definite idea on the level of cuts, and possibilities of alternate funding sources?

A: Only after the final state budget is approved. Many discussions will take place over the next few months. Priorities will be determined and a variety of cuts will be identified.

Will these cuts be publicized to the District, or will they become available upon request?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Tue 23 Dec 2008, 8:28 pm

Mr.NHK wrote:
Admin wrote:
Mr.Black wrote:
Admin wrote:
Sandra wrote:
Are sports at risk of being cut next year and if yes, is the district encouraging the coaches/athletes/paretns to think of fundraising ideas to keep the athletic program intact for the future?

A: At this point, all programs, courses and activities not mandated by the State Department of Education are under consideration. It would be premature to speculate on the level of possible cuts or the possibility of alternative funding sources at this point.


When will there be a definite idea on the level of cuts, and possibilities of alternate funding sources?

A: Only after the final state budget is approved. Many discussions will take place over the next few months. Priorities will be determined and a variety of cuts will be identified.

Will these cuts be publicized to the District, or will they become available upon request?

A: Any potential cuts will be discussed at open board of education meetings before any final decisions on cuts are made. Public input at budget meetings is welcome during that particular portion of the meeting. (Board of education meeting dates are posted the district website - http://www.schenectady.k12.ny.us/BoardofEducation/2008-2009/MeetingSchedule.htm)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Tue 23 Dec 2008, 9:34 pm

moab wrote:
If cuts are made later there may not be time for parents or participants to even think about fundraising. Why can't administration make a guess now on whether sports are at risk so motivated teams and individuals can plan ahead?

A: It would not be proper or fair to speculate on a budget cut before the board and administration have a chance explore and discuss the entire picture and determine what level of cuts are necessary. Right now all non-mandated programs are on the table for discussion......both curricular and extra-curricular.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Mr.NHK



Posts : 21
Join date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Fri 26 Dec 2008, 6:16 pm

This is again another tough question.
Is it possible that the salaries of administrative positions would be reduced in order to help with the budget issues?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 137
Join date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Fri 26 Dec 2008, 7:12 pm

Mr.NHK wrote:
This is again another tough question.
Is it possible that the salaries of administrative positions would be reduced in order to help with the budget issues?

A: All salaries will be reviewed and discussed. Administrators' salaries actually only account for a very small percentage of personnel costs and even less of the overall budget. Salaries are contractual in nature so any reduction in this area would require either union concessions or reductions in force.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Budget Q and A   Today at 8:44 am

Back to top Go down
 
Budget Q and A
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Schenectady City School District Forum :: Closed and Locked :: Budget-
Jump to: