Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Human face behind potential layoffs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sandra

PostSubject: Human face behind potential layoffs   Sat 17 Jan 2009, 7:40 pm

I hope the superintendent and school board remember the human side of the possible 100 staff members who coudl get laid off according to the article in today's gazette. I do not own a house but would personally gladly pay a higher rent for the owner if taxes were increased to prevent such a possible draconian cut. THere are so many outstanding teachers that it is hard to imagine many of them could be losing their jobs. What about the new Biology teacher who has spent the school year split between the four houses in the high school but is still fantastic and helpful? What about the first year special education teacher who has made a point this year of attending at least one of the events each of her student's are involved in? She was so enthusiastic and encouraging today for her student in track? What about the great freshman Global History teacher who has enough years in that she won't get laid off and is so encouraging for her students, but with possible staff layoffs, she could have even larger classes in future years? What about hte 11th grade English teacher who also has enough seniority but is relentlessly pushing her students everday to learn and grow? How are teachers with already full plates going to be expected to do even more? How high can class sizes get before student learning is impossible, especially if there are multiple kids with behavioral issues and other needs? What about the great house principals who may not be tenured yet but give 110% effort for their students? I realize I will get some diplomatic and vague response to this posting but want to encourage the board and administration to remember that each of the teaching staff that could be laid off has been working hard for Schenectady students.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mybigfamilyof9

PostSubject: Well said,   Sat 17 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm

When is there a school board meeting? I would like to go and discuss my idea about uniforms and potential funds from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sandra

PostSubject: Human face part 2   Sun 18 Jan 2009, 8:30 pm

What about the current intern that works at the high school and teaches Algebra? She has to be the most amazingly patient future teacher ever but if Schenectady and other school districts in the area don't raise taxes and just layoff staff, how will she get a job in this area? Great teachers will move out of the district, region and state. How many years will a teacher need before they know that they are relatively safely employed for next year? It would be great if the Daily Gazette or TImes Union took the time to interview some of the TEACHING STAFF who may be at risk for being laid off to add the human dimension, these teachers have families and have made such a personal investment into the school district. Hopefully the teachers who work with our kids everyday will be the last considered for layoffs, after administration, consultants, coordinators, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Human face behind potential layoffs   Sun 18 Jan 2009, 10:18 pm

mybigfamilyof9 wrote:
When is there a school board meeting? I would like to go and discuss my idea about uniforms and potential funds from it.

A: The school board meets on the first Wednesday of each month usually beginning at 8 p.m. The location is published on our web site as the board rotates the meetings between schools in the district each month. (Here is a link to the schedule: http://www.schenectady.k12.ny.us/BoardofEducation/2008-2009/MeetingSchedule.htm)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Human face behind potential layoffs   Sun 18 Jan 2009, 10:21 pm

Sandra wrote:
What about the current intern that works at the high school and teaches Algebra? She has to be the most amazingly patient future teacher ever but if Schenectady and other school districts in the area don't raise taxes and just layoff staff, how will she get a job in this area? Great teachers will move out of the district, region and state. How many years will a teacher need before they know that they are relatively safely employed for next year? It would be great if the Daily Gazette or TImes Union took the time to interview some of the TEACHING STAFF who may be at risk for being laid off to add the human dimension, these teachers have families and have made such a personal investment into the school district. Hopefully the teachers who work with our kids everyday will be the last considered for layoffs, after administration, consultants, coordinators, etc.

A: Layoffs are always difficult because people's lives and careers are affected. We will certainly attempt to avoid reducing staff, especially classroom teachers, to the greatest extent possible. However, if the governor's budget proposal sticks, the level of cuts that will be necessary would definitely affect every budget category.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Central park re-do and special education   Wed 21 Jan 2009, 6:57 pm

If the school is losing funding- and taxpayers re hurting- how can there be a proposal to re-do Central Park middle School to a K-8 and add bathrooms and elevator?
Where is the logic to have 5 year olds with 12 yr olds? Will they be the teachers[ to replace the ones let go]?
I also hear the future holds all special education students to be included in regular classes[ as they are in MP]. I would hope that emotionally troubled youth would not be in a class with my 10 yr old where I would need to be in fear for his life!
Would the severely mentally challenged child really benefit from being included in a regular class they can not understand?
Instead of adding an elevator in Central Park[ to accommodate wheel chairs]- why not consolidate all special ed to Oneida- one wing, where a base of education, a core, could be developed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Human face behind potential layoffs   Thu 22 Jan 2009, 10:21 am

greer wrote:
If the school is losing funding- and taxpayers re hurting- how can there be a proposal to re-do Central Park middle School to a K-8 and add bathrooms and elevator?
Where is the logic to have 5 year olds with 12 yr olds? Will they be the teachers[ to replace the ones let go]?
I also hear the future holds all special education students to be included in regular classes[ as they are in MP]. I would hope that emotionally troubled youth would not be in a class with my 10 yr old where I would need to be in fear for his life!
Would the severely mentally challenged child really benefit from being included in a regular class they can not understand?
Instead of adding an elevator in Central Park[ to accommodate wheel chairs]- why not consolidate all special ed to Oneida- one wing, where a base of education, a core, could be developed?

A: The work being planned at Central Park Middle School is part of the Capital Improvement referendum that was passed a couple of years ago. The current economic and budget proposals do not in any way affect the funding for this project. In fact, the building aid that comes from the state to the districts is explicitly not reduced in the governor’s budget proposal. Our district receives approximately 97% of the capital improvement dollars that we spend back from the state so completing the district’s long range improvements to our buildings will continue. The elevator is needed to bring the building into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and to allow us to better serve the needs of our physically disabled students.

The idea of creating K-8 options in the district was part of the district’s long range strategic plan that was implemented over six years ago. Part of this strategic plan was also to find ways to keep sixth grade students in elementary settings. As we are at the point where nearly all of our district’s sixth grade students will be in elementary schools next year, we are provided with the perfect opportunity to accomplish the strategic objective of creating K-8 options within the district. The magnet program at King will include grades K-8 effective next fall as that construction project will be completed this summer. The idea of transitioning the Howe International Magnet program to a K-8 program has been discussed for the past four years, however we were unable to accomplish this in the current Howe facility due to the historic nature of the building and the cost associated with doing so on such a limited site in terms of available space/land. Central Park’s enrollment is projected to be around 350 students. Leaving it at such would not be a good use of space.

Research regarding K-8 schools pretty clearly indicates that students, especially middle school age children, perform better academically, socially and behaviorally in a K-8 setting versus a middle school setting. The management of elementary and middle school age students co-existing in the same facility is one aspect that certainly demands attention. Our staff and administrations will cooperate and collaborate to address this and any concerns. Please keep in mind that the magnet programs are the perfect vehicle for a K-8 program because of their nature including parental options and the ability to create a learning community focused around a theme such as our Math, Science and Technology theme at King or our International theme at Howe. Some parents will also appreciate that their child will not have to transition from an elementary to different middle school. With the K-8 setting, that transition takes place in one building,with one staff, one administration and the parents working together seamlessly and as a community to ensure the success of all students.

In regard to the integration of special needs children into regular classrooms, each student with an identified special need is placed in a least restrictive environment as determined by their Committee on Special Education. This is done on a student by student basis as set forth in the federal legislation in 1974 called the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). All children deserve the benefit of receiving the same instruction if we are to hold them to the same standards as we are mandated to do by both IDEA and No Child Left Behind (NCLB).
Back to top Go down
neverfaraway

PostSubject: Re: Human face behind potential layoffs   Thu 22 Jan 2009, 7:53 pm

I think the post below me (canmom4) is very well put...

Last edited by neverfaraway on Sat 24 Jan 2009, 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canmom4

PostSubject: One Size Fits All Special Education   Fri 23 Jan 2009, 5:29 pm

Wow- as a parent of a child with a disability who is in a regular education classroom, I found Greer’s comments really hard to stomach. I think it’s important for Greer to understand that a student with a disability should not be assumed to dangerous, emotional or troubled. Students identified as having a disability by a school district are kids who need extra support to keep up with the curriculum. A student with a disability may need to be taught differently- but so do ALL children. There shouldn’t be a one size fits all curriculum.
I think Greer should give some serious thought to the idea that we package up all the student with disabilities and send them to one school. This sort of suggestion is offensive and wouldn’t be tolerated if it were suggested that students of one gender or race receive similar treatment. I suggest that any person who thinks that students with disabilities be warehoused, should do a Google search on the Willowbrook NY school, and see how far that philosophy got us in the 1970’s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Human face behind potential layoffs   Today at 2:01 am

Back to top Go down

Human face behind potential layoffs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1