Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 1:18 pm

Rob wrote:
Your impression is a little off. He said both, early ed. and adult ed. I think both would be great, but reassert, how would families below the poverty
line make use of it? Many don't have transportation. Would Howe on Baker just become another school building elephant?
Have you seen the early ed. places in Schenectady? The one on Craig St. perhaps?

Realism is relative from where you sit? I intend on finding out where the rest of the taxpayers sit on this; the city too.

I appreciate your desire to see accuracy though. On that point we have common ground.

By the way I live off Upper Union now, my child won the lottery to attend Howe and I'm happy at the idea
of a K-8 Magnet; however, I realistically believe that budget, jobs and the like are in the mix.

We want the rest of the information don't we? Howe on Baker should be treated as a touch-stone and a model.
The building with the program inside is indispensable, and a good example of what an intimate setting does
for a school, any school.

Is it possible to K-8 Howe on Baker as is, but just keep it small?

A: Our plans include offering an early childhood center for pre-k and kindergarten students at the Howe building if we were to move the Howe program to CPMS. We would also like to begin to expand (not move) our adult and continuing education programs to make them accessible to more families that live on the north side of town. Howe seems the logical place to do so. Additional uses for the building would be for professional development for staff, some possible office space utilization and community meeting space. Howe is a great building and the district intends to continue to use it to serve the community. The building only has 17 classrooms and isn’t big enough even for a small K-8. The school does not have any science or Family and Consumer Science Labs (the old Home Economics) or technology rooms required for middle level children. Therefore, the district made the decision three or four years ago that it just wasn’t feasible to expand to K-8 in that location.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tell-us.8forum.info
teachermom

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 2:33 pm

I find it interesting that because some of us choose to be more cautious in this process others seem so threatened. I have been through two forums and the BOE meeting and I am becoming sick of the Superintendent and all you excited parents making those of us who have some real concerns feel like obstructionist and causing division within the community. You are right I do not have a crystal ball, but neither do you, yet you are all so convinced this is all going to transpire without a hitch. Some of us were not involved five years ago in the discussions that were taking place, I was taking care of a two year old while my husband was serving our country fighting in Iraq, so I am sorry if this discussion was not a priority for me at the time. Now that it is I have a right, remember it is America, to voice my opinion and have my concerns addressed. If some of you truly listened and instead took out your earplugs, since I supposedly have blinders on, you would hear that it is not that we are completely against establishing this K-8 at CP, but we would like this process to produce the successes we all have come to appreciate and treasure at Howe. I appreciate the president of the BOE willingness to listen and allow all of us to feel that we are being heard. What will cause damage are actually those of you who have the "my way or the highway" attitude and continue throwing serious accusations at those who have concerns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 3:15 pm

teachermom wrote:
I find it interesting that because some of us choose to be more cautious in this process others seem so threatened. I have been through two forums and the BOE meeting and I am becoming sick of the Superintendent and all you excited parents making those of us who have some real concerns feel like obstructionist and causing division within the community. You are right I do not have a crystal ball, but neither do you, yet you are all so convinced this is all going to transpire without a hitch. Some of us were not involved five years ago in the discussions that were taking place, I was taking care of a two year old while my husband was serving our country fighting in Iraq, so I am sorry if this discussion was not a priority for me at the time. Now that it is I have a right, remember it is America, to voice my opinion and have my concerns addressed. If some of you truly listened and instead took out your earplugs, since I supposedly have blinders on, you would hear that it is not that we are completely against establishing this K-8 at CP, but we would like this process to produce the successes we all have come to appreciate and treasure at Howe. I appreciate the president of the BOE willingness to listen and allow all of us to feel that we are being heard. What will cause damage are actually those of you who have the "my way or the highway" attitude and continue throwing serious accusations at those who have concerns.

A: Obviously I proposed the move so I support it for the district. That said, I am in the position of gathering opinions and trying to answer questions and address concerns of those who are reluctant, hesitant or just against such a move. I don’t believe we should, or that we are, discounting your concerns. I do understand. We all take these critical discussions and decisions personal when our children are involved or affected. I do respect your opinion and will continue to try to address all of the questions that come up in forums and on our discussion board.

As I have said before, we live in a great country where we can have a respectful debate. I hope everyone keeps that in mind as we move forward.

The board of education is obviously willing to listen and consider all of your opinions and address your concerns but I will still advocate for what I think is the right move for our district. The proposal has already changed a bit as we have moved through this vetting process and I assume it will continue to be transformed. We all want any move we make to be a successful one. It will take all of us working together to help all Schenectady children succeed.
Back to top Go down
teachermom

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 4:36 pm

I would like to thank the administrator for replying to my post so quickly. I agree and that is my point, this should be a respectful debate, but the post by un autre prof was anything but respectful, it accused parents like me of polarizing the community and causing damage. I do not take that accusation lightly which is why I responded. We are all trying to get to same goal, which is providing the best educational opportunity to our children in a safe environment, we just have different perspectives on how to accomplish that. I want to work with all involved to ensure that our childen win in the end, regardless of how it plays out, but I need to know that I did all I could so that my concerns were heard in the process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wachala1

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 6:49 pm

On Tuesday, February 17th at the Schenectady Library McChesney Room between 6 - 9pm there will be an open meeting for parents, neighbors of the Howe school and the general public who are not in favor of the current Howe proposal. For those people who believe that either this proposal is being rushed, or that the k-8 program doesn't seem the right avenue to go, or that they've spoken to other parents or the Howe staff who are also not in favor of this move, I invite you to this meeting on the 17th.

Also, there will be petitions available to sign opposing the Howe move. Please watch the next city council meeting as I'll indicate where these petitions will be located for signing.

I sincerely appreciate how hard people are working either for or against this proposal. It only goes to show that the Howe parents are active, stand up for their values and go the extra mile for their children! It's truly a wonderful thing!

Please feel free to email me with either letters or comments: awachala@nycap.rr.com

Thank you,
Joyce Wachala
Mother of a 1st grader
Back to top Go down
View user profile
un autre prof

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 9:45 pm

teachermom wrote:
I would like to thank the administrator for replying to my post so quickly. I agree and that is my point, this should be a respectful debate, but the post by un autre prof was anything but respectful, it accused parents like me of polarizing the community and causing damage. I do not take that accusation lightly which is why I responded. We are all trying to get to same goal, which is providing the best educational opportunity to our children in a safe environment, we just have different perspectives on how to accomplish that. I want to work with all involved to ensure that our childen win in the end, regardless of how it plays out, but I need to know that I did all I could so that my concerns were heard in the process.

I am sorry you were offended by my post. As you state, we are in America and we all have the same freedom of speech. It sounds like you believe my freedom of speech is not equal to yours. Sometimes freedom of speech means that we might hear some things we don't like. At that point, my freedom of speech ends because you don't have to listen. On another note, I am thankful that your husband served our country and helped preserve all of our freedoms. I pray that he returned safely. I do agree with you that we are all trying to obtain the best education for our children. I would not approve this proposal if I thought my children were not going to be safe. As you state, you need to know that your concerns were heard. I think that is what we are all doing by posting on this board. I do apologize if you took any of my statements personally. Please remember that we are all looking out for the best interests of our children.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teachermom

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 10:07 pm

"It sounds like you believe my freedom of speech is not equal to yours. Sometimes freedom of speech means that we might hear some things we don't like. At that point, my freedom of speech ends because you don't have to listen. "

It is funny that you make these comments because that is why I initially responded to you, because that is how I felt about your very strong statements. We all have our opinions because we feel strongly about the education of our children. I am fully aware of what freedom of speech means, I teach social studies and understand that public discourse is a very important part of our democracy and makes our country unique. I appreciate your comments regarding my husband's service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Denise Della Villa

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm

Joyce,

Last night at the board meeting, president of the Board, Jeff Janiszewski, asked me to present a consensus of the Howe community. It was brought to the attention of all the parents, teachers and staff that attended the HOWE PTO meeting tonight, that a survey is coming home where the Howe community can give their opinion of the proposal and concerns that they have and if they would like a discussion group where a facilitator and/or speaker can attend to answer questions.

I think it's strange that you are this concerned with the Howe community but yet, I haven't seen you at any PTO meetings or events this year. You did, however, contact me in which, I immediately responded with a phone call to listen to your questions and concerns about the proposal.

I know that I have made it clear as a parent where I stand on this proposal but as PTO President of Howe School, it is my responsibility and duty to represent the opinions and concerns of the HOWE community as a whole. I wish you had contacted me before arranging a RALLY that will only make matters worse. We discussed tonight at the PTO meeting the importance of coming together and not polarizing our group. I fear that this meeting that you have organized will only serve to pit people against each other. We need to act as adults. Divisiveness is not a solution!

Sincerely,

Denise Della Villa
HOWE PTO President
(you have my email and phone number)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary Kay Fenner

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 12:01 pm

I am completley amazed by all of this. Now a meeting to state why you are against the proposal. I believe I am a good representation as to a family who will be impacted by this move. I have a son in 6th grade and a daughter in 2nd grade, so I am at each end of this discussion. From the meetings, web site etc. it appears as though the majority of people against this move are the parents of kindergarten and 1st graders at Howe. However everyone starts out with how much they love the school, love the staff, love the environment and are completley happy with the education their children are receiving ( my feelings completley) but then you do not want it to continue for as long as possible? I understand the safety issues, and I believe that Mr. Ely has addressed these concerns in a addition to the proposal. If safety is your paramount concern have you checked into the crime and violence around Mont Pleasant? I should not be offending anyone as I live 10 streets from the school. When you needed to be "sold" on the idea of Howe ( as one family stated) were you not aware that as the middle school system is today that your child will have to feed into Mont Pleasant Middle school for 7th and 8 th grade no mattter where you live ? To the mother at the Howe meeting who had the ratings of the Schenectady schools- I believe that all of the Schenectady elementary schools were in good standings or better but did you pay attention to the fact that none of the middle schools are ( not only in Schenectady but many throughout the Capitol District) . As a district we have a opportunity now to change these middle years and keep our children with the staff that we have so much respect for. the district has been trying, making smaller classes etc. but so far not much is changing in these middle years. For all those who opposed this you need to honestly ask yourselves this question- If this proposal had been passed 2 years ago would that have stopped you from applying to the Magnet program at Howe? I think not! And if you decided that you did not want to apply due to the fact that it was a K-8 program or where the school is located, there would have been numerous families willing and happy to step up and take your place. I vote that we move ahead with this Proposal. I look forward to being with as much of the same staff as possible, and the families for as many years as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butterball

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 12:13 pm

Denise Della Villa wrote:

Last night at the board meeting, president of the Board, Jeff Janiszewski, asked me to present a consensus of the Howe community. It was brought to the attention of all the parents, teachers and staff that attended the HOWE PTO meeting tonight, that a survey is coming home where the Howe community can give their opinion of the proposal and concerns that they have and if they would like a discussion group where a facilitator and/or speaker can attend to answer questions.

I think the idea of a survey is GREAT!! Only one question. Why are only the Howe parents invited to take a survey? Since all children and all families in the district are being affected by this proposal, please allow all families in the district to participate in the survey. Get an idea on the reactions of all the families in the district, pro or con. The the board can have a better idea of how folks feel about this proposal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mom 101

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 12:34 pm

MKF - my thoughts exactly!
My children are in 5th grade & Kindergarten at Howe. I am pro K-8. We all knew what the feeder school was when we signed up for the lottery. You have 4 schools merging at MP Middle: Van Corlear (Bellevue neighborhood), Hamilton (Mt. Pleasant) and Pleasant Valley (which includes mostly Hamilton Hill, if I'm not mistaken). I've actually thought, as well as some other parents I know, about moving my child to a private school or even moving into another district as soon as middle school came around. In the K-8 model, the 7th & 8th graders will be those kids that are in 5th & 6th grade currently at Howe. Lets keep these children together until they are at the high school. SHS has such great programs. Let's not lose these kids in middle school. Let's continue to be active parents. Let our voices be heard that we want to move Howe school as a whole - principal, teachers and staff!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teachermom

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 6:59 pm

Being in education for sixteen years, I know that contractually all the staff, including the outstanding principal, may not be able to just switch over. That is were I have my doubts and if that is what we all love about Howe then we need to be concerned. Again, being in education for my entire career, I have just seen too many proposals that may have merit on paper and have the interests of our students at heart but when executed do not fulfill the expectations of those involved. I wish the district had just been more proactive in terms of preparing for transition and addressing these important details, especially if this was discussed several years ago, than reactive.
On a more positive note, I have learned so much more about the outstanding programs the district offers at all levels, through the meetings as well as being on the school website.
Regardless of the outcome of this debate I hope that when it is all said and done we can all work together to continue to provide a strong educational experience for our children.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wachala1

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 8:04 pm

Dear Denise,

I do not agree with you regarding the Howe proposal, nor will I ever. What I do agree on is that we are both loving and caring parents who only want the best for their children. You feel one way about the proposal and I the other - it's simply our opinions. It's what makes our lives in America so blessed, that we all have opinions and are able to express them freely. Just because I don't agree with the proposal certainly does not mean I am against anyone - I just don't feel the same way as you do. That's all.

I have increadible respect for all that you do at the PTO and I certainly respect your opinion on the Howe Proposal. I simply want to give voice to the other side of this issue. All people want to be heard and that's not a bad thing. Nothing is ever black or white. I'm just hoping that all people have a chance to voice their concerns and praises to this proposal equally and fairly.

Again, the meeting is Tuesday, February 17th at the downtown Schenctady Library from 6 - 9pm. All are invited.

Thanks,
Joyce Wachala

Last edited by wachala1 on Fri 06 Feb 2009, 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Schdy Lifer

PostSubject: Wachala1   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 10:03 pm

Your posting wasn't erased. You responded to a different thread. Nobody is erasing anyone's thoughts or concerns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wachala1

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Fri 06 Feb 2009, 10:15 pm

You are correct, Schdy Lifer. I apologize for stating that my message was erased as it wasn't. I just became confused when Denise's comment was posted on both threads simultaneously. I'll correct that now. Thank you Schdy Lifer for pointing that out and again, my apologies.

Sincerely,
Joyce Wachala
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greer

PostSubject: Change already has begun   Sat 07 Feb 2009, 5:24 pm

Workmen are already in CP measuring and gathering data needed to place the elevator[ back of auditorium] and the K-1 classes on the lower level--Guess there is no need for a discussion any longer ??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Sat 07 Feb 2009, 10:26 pm

A: We have a capital project planned for Central Park next summer regardless of this decision. Certainly we want to be prepared to begin work on this planned project and any K-8 work necessary should the board approve this proposal.
Back to top Go down
tdrparent

PostSubject: Question for Admin   Sun 08 Feb 2009, 9:27 am

Hi Admin!

I posted this question under another topic, but it got missed when you were answering questions last night.....

Admin wrote "we are talking about a K-8 that will settle in around 550 students after a couple years"

Where does the 550 number come from? Howe has about 360 students now; adding 2 grades X 2 sections would increase the 360 by no more than 100 students, yes? Are you thinking of reducing class size and adding a third section of each grade?

Thanks for being so responsive to all the questions. I'm in favor of the K-8 proposal and I want all the adults who work at Howe to come with the kids!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Get Involved

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Sun 08 Feb 2009, 3:01 pm

I will start by saying that this e-mail will not be written for either support or against the K-8 model. I have been reading the messages on the discussion board and have attended a few of the public discussion sessions regarding the school district’s suggestion (and its just a suggestion at this point) of moving (in an intact manner the Howe program) to a new building. I will start by saying that I am pleased that so many people have joined the discussion.
However, I wonder where was everyone when the district asks for participant to join the current Strategic Planning team and the Study Circles program (many request have been made through school letters, in the newspapers, the district’s television station and on the website). How many of you are aware of the current strategic planning and did not join? How many of you were aware of the previous strategic planning and did not join? How many of you were aware of the Study Circles program and did not sign up? Unfortunately, due to a lack of participant the Study Circles program was canceled. So, it amazes me how critical people become of the decisions that are being made for their students when ample opportunities are there to offer suggestions. Is it that everyone hopes that someone else will join the strategic planning or the Study Circles? These are the forums where decisions as the the need for K-8 programs are being made? Why are people only participating in this process because it directly impacts them? Where is the care and concerns at all times?
This K-8 initiative came from the previous Strategic Planning process. So for those of you believe this is a new idea that is being forced on you by the district, you may want to find a current or former parent or a community member who participated in that process and asked what were their reasons for wanting K-8 schools. My point is, please do not wait until others (parents, community members, teachers etc.) make the decisions for you; instead take the time to become a part of the decision making process.
I fully understand that change is often difficult to accept and absorb. However, if we are all supporters of the school district we need to take a step back and look at the big picture, which is simply success for all students. In life, very few decisions ever receive 100% support. The reason for creating K-8 buildings in the district is to extend the continued trend of success for all students who attend all schools within the Schenectady School District. This move does not only affect Howe Schools, it actually impacts all students. Ironically, the students who will be least affected by the move will be Howe students, because they will continue to have the same teachers, same friends, same program, etc. The only change they will endure is remaing with the same teachers, same friends and same program for two more years.
This is not the same for the students who would have attended Central Middle School. The students from Woodlawn, Paige, Lincoln, and King (currently a feeder school to Central Park) are all being affected by the move. These parents do not have choice where their children will attend. Yet, each and every one of the Howe students can decide to remain with the Howe program or return to their home school.
Years ago, when the district implemented the Magnet Schools and combined the high schools, there was a similar discomfort. As time went on, the district grew in population and most people do not even remember the structure of the district before the Magnet Schools were in place. We have come to accept the current configuration and have also accepted the fact that it is not the best solution for many of our students. So the district through the Strategic Planning process has decided to try a new configuration.
Now I would like to specifically talk to the Howe family (I know that is how you feel and that is a great thing). On the surface it appears that those who are against the move, may simply be upset because the school is relocating to what is considered to be a not so desirable location. This would lead me to believe that you did not apply to Howe because of the magnet program or the international theme, but simply because of the physical location. If you were so pleased with the Howe Program, then you would not care where it was located as long as the program maintains the same caliber. Furthermore, you should relish the opportunity that your child would be able to participate in the program for an additional two years. If you are upset that “those” students will present negative influences for the younger Howe students (eventfully, the only students in the new building will only be students who have been a part of the Howe program). Also, regarding the concerns that Howe has great teachers and that your child would miss the opportunity to have a great teacher if there were necessary transfers of current teachers: as far as I can tell, all schools across the district have great teachers. I do not believe that Howe has a monopoly on the best teachers in the district. It is also my understanding that when teachers are employed, they are typically employed as an Elementary Teachers or Secondary Teachers and not employed for a specific “building”. So, teachers should be well aware that they could be offered positions in other buildings. Neither of my children attended Howe and they have had excellent teachers and have received a great education within the Schenectady City School District.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Sun 08 Feb 2009, 5:15 pm

tdrparent wrote:
Hi Admin!

I posted this question under another topic, but it got missed when you were answering questions last night.....

Admin wrote "we are talking about a K-8 that will settle in around 550 students after a couple years"

Where does the 550 number come from? Howe has about 360 students now; adding 2 grades X 2 sections would increase the 360 by no more than 100 students, yes? Are you thinking of reducing class size and adding a third section of each grade?

Thanks for being so responsive to all the questions. I'm in favor of the K-8 proposal and I want all the adults who work at Howe to come with the kids!

A: The short answer is yes. We do plan phasing in alternating three section classes to ensure there is always a full five sections at the middle school (grade seven and eight) level. Ideally we accomplish this by enrolling two or three sections of kindergarteners each year.
Back to top Go down
Involved Parent

PostSubject: Oneida Needs Something   Sun 08 Feb 2009, 9:05 pm

It's about time there has been some more focus on the program at Oneida. I think we need some education about what Oneida already offers that is unique and creative. I also think that the district should hand something over to that faculty -- like the lower lever IB Program with some kind of focus on intensive language instruction (which I believe is a prerequisite of the IB Program). Perhaps Oneida can have a thematic focus (like a house in the high school) or some kind of strong community business attachment (like GE). I think parents would find Onieda more attractive if they were aware of what it offers or they could be enticed by something new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tdrparent

PostSubject: Alternating 2 and 3 Sections   Mon 09 Feb 2009, 7:48 am

Admin wrote:
tdrparent wrote:
Hi Admin!

A: The short answer is yes. We do plan phasing in alternating three section classes to ensure there is always a full five sections at the middle school (grade seven and eight) level. Ideally we accomplish this by enrolling two or three sections of kindergarteners each year.

Thanks for the response. Wouldn't you end up with an extra elementary-grade teacher every other year? I.e. after several years you'd have 22 elementary education classrooms one year and 23 the other? If you had 3 sections for each elementary grade and thus 3 sections of 7 and 8, would that be too many middle-school kids for a complement of middle-school subject area teachers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 09 Feb 2009, 11:16 am

Involved Parent wrote:
It's about time there has been some more focus on the program at Oneida. I think we need some education about what Oneida already offers that is unique and creative. I also think that the district should hand something over to that faculty -- like the lower lever IB Program with some kind of focus on intensive language instruction (which I believe is a prerequisite of the IB Program). Perhaps Oneida can have a thematic focus (like a house in the high school) or some kind of strong community business attachment (like GE). I think parents would find Onieda more attractive if they were aware of what it offers or they could be enticed by something new.

A: Each school community is unique and each has their own “highlights.” We try to publicize these currently through newsletters and our web site. However, we are always looking for more ways to draw attention to the great things that are happening in all of our schools. The thematic approach you suggest for a middle school would immediately result in a call for a similar theme in the other one or two middle schools. Our magnet schools are currently the only thematic based schools due to their status as schools of choice for parents. The high school’s smaller learning communities approach was an attempt to allow students entering high school to place themselves in “houses” based on themes, however students from all houses are eligible to take courses in the other houses. In this way, we limit the exclusivity that can come with preventing students from crossing over in the houses.
Back to top Go down
Mary Kay Fenner

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 09 Feb 2009, 1:41 pm

To the administration- you had mentioned that the board would vote on this sometime in February, do you have idea yet when that will happen? Thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 09 Feb 2009, 9:21 pm

tdrparent wrote:
Admin wrote:
tdrparent wrote:
Hi Admin!

Thanks for the response. Wouldn't you end up with an extra elementary-grade teacher every other year? I.e. after several years you'd have 22 elementary education classrooms one year and 23 the other? If you had 3 sections for each elementary grade and thus 3 sections of 7 and 8, would that be too many middle-school kids for a complement of middle-school subject area teachers?

A: Yes, this is one area of concern and is one reason we would not take this approach in the first year or two at least not until the K-8 program got settled in at Central Park. We have a number of administrative options to consider as we address this issue. Each elementary building is forced to “reorganize” annually due to enrollment and subsequent sectioning changes. However, stability in staff is important making this an issue that needs to be addressed before we begin that alternating enrollment idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Today at 8:41 am

Back to top Go down

Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next