Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
butterball

PostSubject: Same program - same teachers   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 9:08 pm

Excited parent wrote:
I don't understand the parents that don't want this!! I want K-8!!! I want this to go through!!! I want the same program! I want the same teachers!

It's hard to communicate emotion in this kind of format. Everything looks harsh when written in print. Please allow me to communicate the other side of this calmly and hear, not anger, but sadness.

One reason that not everyone is behind this is that not everyone has a child in Howe. As I have seen periodically pointed out on this post, Howe is not the only school being affected by this change. Many children currently in elementary school are finding out that they may not be going to the same school their siblings went to and having the same teachers their siblings had. We are mourning the loss of our "same program, same teachers."

I have spent many years being an active parent at CPMS. I feel my family has made a home there. Now we are being told that another middle school may be our new home. But as you Howe families understand, in a school or anywhere else, "home" is a relationship based on a long earned trust relationship - it takes a long time to create. My son will be at the new middle school for only two years. By the time we create a home there, my son will be moving on to SHS. Some may say "what's the point?" I will remain comitted to being active in my child's education regardless of where he goes, but it will be difficult.

Even if we entered the lottery and got in to Central Park, it probably won't be the same teachers - you are taking your own. And even with the teachers we would keep, it certainly won't be the same without the peers my son has has - many since kindergarten. An awful trade if you think about it. Do we choose the building and teachers we have grown to love or the class of peers - friendships with 7 years of history behind them. Obviously, it would be the friendships. They'll have to stick together to make it.

In order for you to enjoy your sunny prospect of having a homey environment for 8 years, my son will be shipped to a new place, have only two years to "bond "with it. By the time he feels at home, he'll leave again.

What's only good news to you is a bitter pill to others across the district. If this goes through, please say a prayer for those being displaced for your benefit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron Sicotte

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 9:40 pm

I have concerns about the K-8 Proposal, specifically as it relates to Howe. A K-8 concept has tremendous merit and I support the idea in principle. I have great difficulty supporting this particular proposal, though, since the principle has been completely lost in the process to create it, the motivation behind it, and the timing of it. I will let others point out its benefits and focus here on my concerns.
The superintendent has consistently said this is not a new proposal, that the discussions have been going on for five years. A discussion requires two sides having an equal role. Although the district may have been exploring the idea, an opportunity for discussion has not occurred until late January when the proposal was formally presented to the public online. At that point it becomes a response to the proposal, not a discussion building to one. That is a dramatic difference. Where was the community involvement in the process? More importantly, where was the staff involvement? Two schools are being forced together and the staff who are expected to make the proposal successful were not even involved in the discussions. The superintendent has been consistently unable to answer some key questions regarding the proposal - Will young students ride the same bus with middle school students? Will there be separate doors? Will the times of day be different? - citing his desire to let the school’s administrators make those decisions. Why haven’t they been involved in creating the plan so that those essential details have been worked out? If the K-8 school is to be successful, all stakeholders must be directly involved in designing the proposal – from the start.
In both his postings and the presentation to Howe parents, Superintendent Ely dismissed the call to wait a year, saying in essence, 1) the enrollment in the district necessitated it happening this year, 2) that he was charged from the beginning of his tenure as a leader with creating K-6 and K-8 schools, and 3) that Central Park is set to be renovated this summer. Those three points then raise some serious, legitimate questions.
I understand the enrollment in the district’s schools for next year makes this an ideal time for the change. If so, why was that just realized in late December and not anticipated far earlier so that the plan could be carried out successfully? Just because it is most convenient for the district that does not mean it is in the best interest of the students involved. The district drive to create K-6 and K-8 schools should mean everything possible is done to do them well, not to simply do them. And the upcoming work on Central Park also begs some important questions. If the renovation to an elementary school was not slated in the original Capital Improvement Referendum, just what did the voters approve two years ago? If the original plan did call for the elementary renovations, then why was the plan not communicated to the community two years ago? The only truly student-centered approach to creating the K-8 school is to wait a year and implement it the right way to ensure success. The district already has that model with King Magnet school; the staff and community have had time to coordinate the transition, which in turn will lead to greater potential of success. Howe’s transition should follow the same model and should not be rushed.
Whether the decision to make Howe K-8 happens this year or in the future, the staff members and community members must be involved in the design of the school. Create a committee immediately with all stakeholders involved and invest the proper time to make the change successful. Then it will be a true discussion, a thoughtful proposal, and in the best interest of our students. Then the potential benefits of a K-8 concept will become the actual benefits of a carefully conceived K-8 school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
teachermom

PostSubject: Well Said......   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 9:54 pm

Well said Aaron S., you have mentioned many of my concerns but I have not articulated them as well or as calmly.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Parent&Homeowner

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 10:09 pm

I agree with a lot of what Aaron says, but do know, I DO want to see Howe go to a K-8 but in the best way possible for all not just the school board. Please do not let this die if not passed for the fall, please, please, please work to make it happen for the following year as Aaron puts it, with all stakeholders involved!!!!

Last edited by Parent&Homeowner on Mon 02 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moab

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 10:23 pm

International charter school with gifted and talented programming- lets do it. Why wait for the admin to screw up our kids education?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moab

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 10:26 pm

international charter school, w/gifted and talented programming, parental control, lets do it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Excited parent

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 10:28 pm

butterball wrote:
In order for you to enjoy your sunny prospect of having a homey environment for 8 years, my son will be shipped to a new place, have only two years to "bond "with it. By the time he feels at home, he'll leave again.

The only reply I have to this is all of the elementary schools now go up to 6th grade so no matter where your child goes they will be there for only 2 years reguardless of whether or not Howe becomes K-8 or not! And if you you believe that K-8 is sunny prospect then I am sure you would have liked your child to go as well. That's the great part about having both King and Howe being K-8! If you want your child to go, put them in the lottery. Here's another great idea, if you don't want your child in a K-8, send them to the neighborhood school. This is a choice. We can choose to take advantage or choose not too!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Excited parent

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 10:45 pm

Aaron Sicotte wrote:

Whether the decision to make Howe K-8 happens this year or in the future, the staff members and community members must be involved in the design of the school. Create a committee immediately with all stakeholders involved and invest the proper time to make the change successful. Then it will be a true discussion, a thoughtful proposal, and in the best interest of our students. Then the potential benefits of a K-8 concept will become the actual benefits of a carefully conceived K-8 school.

I believe Eric Ely specifically said at the Howe meeting last Tuesday evening was that some of the questions he wouldn't answer because he wants to talk to parents and staff members and administrators and he wants this plan to be executed with the collaboration of their ideas. Some parents the got upset because he was being vague. He simply the stated that the details of how the building was to run should be decided by the administators of the buidling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kindergarten mom

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Mon 02 Feb 2009, 11:48 pm

First, please let me say that I have read the proposal and I understand it; I have spoken with parents and teachers on this topic; I have listened to Eric Ely speak about it; I have read daily the posts to the discussion board and the administration’s responses since learning of Howe’s potential fate. In short, I am an informed parent. With that information, I have come to the conclusion that the proposal has merit, and I can appreciate the many positive talking points. However, no matter the positives I can glean from the proposal, I find quite simply that I can not support it and I urge you to dismiss it as it is presented.

As a parent, as a taxpayer, and as a teacher, I find the proposal to move Howe International Magnet School and expand it to a K-8 program ill conceived and far too sudden. Yes, I know, I have learned that making more K-6 and K-8 offerings is a component of the district’s strategic plan and that to some degree there has been an ongoing conversation within administration about moving more schools to that end. I, however, wasn't involved in those conversations, nor --would it appear -- privy to them since I was not informed of them when I was sold on Howe, when my child was chosen for Howe or when he began at Howe. I also did not find such information on the district’s website or in its weekly newsletter that is delivered to my e-mail, prior to it being posted in late January. I feel very much blind sided by the district and perhaps I'm a skeptic, but the manner in which this was approached, presented and the speed with which a decision is to be made seems alarmingly fast. So fast, in fact, that it clouds the proposal. Martin Luther King School’s plan has been in place for some time with students and faculty being able to process and plan accordingly for such a tremendous change to their building and their population. I can not understand why a high achieving school such as Howe was not afforded the same opportunity. On that point, our superintendent stated that the time is now because, as he referred to it, “there is a perfect storm” of sorts that dictates that this is the right time to act. My response to that is ‘perfect storms’ have signs before them of their impending nature and the one sign of CPMS’s population changing was certainly clear far earlier than this past month. Additionally, the administration knew of funds available through the Capital Improvement Plan slated for Central Park Middle School for nearly two years. Lastly, the idea of moving more schools to K-8 has been discussed for some time amongst the powers that be. Why then is this storm so suddenly perfect? It would appear it, like true perfect storms, had all kinds of warning signals. Why then is the Howe community and the greater school district forced to move on this proposal at such lightening speed and with many unanswered questions?

Why was there not a task force comprised of teachers, administrators, parents and community members working to weigh all sides; investigate buildings; draw blueprints and sketch out the flow of the new facility; discuss arrival and departure times; discuss bus routes; explore how best to merge the two buildings without either feeling like they have lost their identity; strategize ways to separate the young, impressionable children from older, more experienced ones; explore avenues of how to foster a community between those two groups at the same time; train teachers and support staff in how to marry these two programs and best model the transition for the students and their parents; address necessary contractual roadblocks; provide ample time for curriculum adjustments and relocating of classrooms and provisioning for said classrooms amidst a construction zone; what to even call this new coupling for it to encapsulate the programs being offered at both schools? The number of questions left unanswered far outweighs those that are answered.

I’m ashamed of the administration for proposing something of this magnitude, with far reaching implications for students around the district, not simply those at Howe and Central Park, without offering the necessary parties the opportunity and voice to adequately investigate the merits of such a move--such a large undertaking, and forgive me, but this is one. Eric Ely may say over and over again, “that he’d like to just pick up Howe’s students, staff and program and … move it to Central Park,” but the reality is that it just isn’t that simple and I’m insulted by his implication that it is. I’m not opposed to change, but I am opposed to change without necessary research and input. I can appreciate the thoughts of those who have 4th, 5th, and 6th graders and who have reservations about middle school. Certainly, this proposal looks appealing for it ‘saves’ their children from the potential nightmare that often characterizes middle school. However, will it be a positive move for all students? Has the district adequately investigated how this change will affect its younger students, in addition to its older ones? It is important to allow our younger kids the opportunity to be young, to be nurtured. That is what an elementary setting provides. And, as of yet, there have been no assurances that that will be created and cultivated at CP. The major talking points have been about the benefits to the older students. Additionally, Howe is an exceptional program and resides in a building which fosters that. Again, our superintendent can say that “it is the people in the building that make the program, not the building itself,” but that is only part of it. The location of Howe, a quiet residential one-way street with easy access from many directions, and the building itself, fairly small, intimate and designed for young people, helps to foster the community that exists there. The surrounding grounds further enforce the philosophy of the building; even the playgrounds suggest the stepping stones that children must take throughout their first years of school. A simple drive by CPMS showcases its limited outdoor play space for young children. Like the Howe campus provides, CP should offer separate facilities for younger and older students, complete with structures and space to build gross motor skills and engage in imaginative games. Again, this is an area that has been deflected by the Superintendent to “we will build a playground.”

Once more, I see some merit in the K-8 model, but I don’t see it right now for Howe International Magnet School. I simply can’t without the necessary work put in before a proposal is voted on and enacted; there are simply too many students and teachers involved, be them at Howe, Central Park, Paige, Lincoln, Woodlawn, Oneida, Mont Pleasant, etc. Approving such a measure without the above questions answered is reprehensible and potentially detrimental to the many students throughout the district. Mr. Ely noted that he did not want to answer the questions so many were posing because he felt the administration of the new school should make such decisions. While I can appreciate his reasoning for such a decision, that it would hopefully create ownership for the school and its policies, again I can’t support it. In order for this merging of ideas, space, students, faculty, parents and support staff to truly be successful, those questions need to be addressed before a proposal becomes a reality. Instead, Schenectady City Schools should take their time, learn from Martin Luther King School and proceed with a task force that visits that school, talks with its teachers, parents and students and observes and denotes what works and what doesn’t work. They have, after all, been preparing for this change for some time. Hopefully, the district has given them the necessary tools to be successful because they simply are not affording Howe and Central Park the same opportunity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
un autre prof

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 12:05 am

[quote="Excited parent"]
Aaron Sicotte wrote:

Create a committee immediately with all stakeholders involved and invest the proper time to make the change successful. Then it will be a true discussion, a thoughtful proposal, and in the best interest of our students. Then the potential benefits of a K-8 concept will become the actual benefits of a carefully conceived K-8 school.

I have been in education for over 25 years. Rarely does a committee do much good. The "stakeholders" usually have their own agenda. This proposal has been around for five years I think enough time has passed. Some posters feel blindsided. Where have they been for the last five years? The K-8 model was and is a successful model. I think the administration and the board have probably put much thought into this plan and all our concerns will be addressed. Some posters here think the parents that want this to go through are too optimistic. I am a middle school teacher in another inner city district and I understand their fears. But, don't you think the administration has thought about any potential P.R. nightmares concerning the safety of our children? I'm sure they will be extra vigilant in making sure this works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butterball

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 8:57 am

Excited parent wrote:
butterball wrote:

The only reply I have to this is all of the elementary schools now go up to 6th grade so no matter where your child goes they will be there for only 2 years reguardless of whether or not Howe becomes K-8 or not! And if you you believe that K-8 is sunny prospect then I am sure you would have liked your child to go as well. That's the great part about having both King and Howe being K-8! If you want your child to go, put them in the lottery. Here's another great idea, if you don't want your child in a K-8, send them to the neighborhood school. This is a choice. We can choose to take advantage or choose not too!!

I'm just trying to see things through your glasses. I'm not sure you see things through mine. You clearly didn't read my message in full. In order for this forum or any of the meetings to work, we need to truly listen to each other, not just hear only what we want to hear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Excited parent

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 9:28 am

I agree with Aun Autre Prof. These parents feel like this is new and it is not. Where have you been? While the parents who haven't been involved because their children were not in school so they did not follow what was going on, us "other" parents were sitting on these meetings for years and finally feel after years of talk they are FINALLY going to move ahead!! Now you just want to slow the process down with more talk. Enough!! We have been talking for years!!! Let's see them finally do what they have been talking about for years!!!! Now the oportunity has risen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob

PostSubject: Show'em Howe (On Baker)   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 1:45 pm

With all due respect,
The city school district belongs to all of us who pay taxes; not just those who sit on committees and boards, or those who have
been aware of some version of what is being proposed now.

The programs are built on tax payer dollars. Those of us who who pay house, property and school tax also have a say.
I thought it was the job of SDS and the City to make everyone aware, not just parents who have children in school.
What about pregnant moms, and families who pay taxes, property school and otherwise?

Where is the general information campaign? We are talking about the possible abandonment of a huge
swath of our city, its' a good neighborhood. The police patrol it often; just until recently we received
reasonable snow removal services. What is the city's take on this? Anyone know?

Yes everyone has an agenda, but I am absolutely positive that everyone is giving consideration to the safety and education
of their children first. Safety and education is always first on the agenda for everyone.

For now upper Union is a relatively safe neighborhood for children to play and ride their bikes in, the last thing we need is another
neighborhood with little to no service from the police. Eyes are on this area because of the school and the parents and faculty involved.

Also, how does Schenectady's budget and the school district's budget play into this? Why does this need to cost jobs?
Howe School on Baker does have a great faculty. Preserve all of their jobs along with all the jobs at Central, no question.

Can CPS be made into an International Magnet K-8 by using the model from Howe on Baker, without moving Howe on Baker?
A sincere effort to follow a working model for success and safe schools, neighborhoods, and jobs may follow? Tax payers will move into
those neighborhoods for the school. People with jobs spend money, Schenectady could begin a financial resurgence. Moving one program and practically emptying a historic building is small time. Isn't Schenectady sick of half-steps?

Lastly, zip codes 12308 and 12309 have a 90% high school graduate and college attendee rate? Why on earth would we put a adult ed. program on Baker,which is in the 12309 zip code? Wouldn't Central Park be a more convenient location for everyone with this need? Why make it more difficult for people who may not have transportation to to get to a place where they can further their education?
Where is the city in this discussion? Anyone with ideas on how to pump money into the issue?

Post Script:
To tell the truth, I'm concerned for the future of any program. Parents we are the best reflection of our children. Let's everyone
please give that some thought before crafting responses and posts; maybe take it easy on the exclamation marks?

Last edited by Rob on Tue 03 Feb 2009, 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Parent&Homeowner

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 2:03 pm

I just hope the board really looks at everything and makes the best choice.

Last edited by Parent&Homeowner on Thu 05 Feb 2009, 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Excited parent

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 2:34 pm

I am a homeowner and taxpayer as well and I pay a LOT of taxes to live in the city of Schenectady. I would also like to correct ROB who said he doesn't want an adult ed program at Howe and I have to say that is the first I am hearing of that because I was under the impression from what Eric Ely said is that a Pre-K Kindergarten will be put in. Wouldn't it be nice to have small children in that area? I believe the police would still patrol with even smaller children attending then are there now!

I also would like to say to Aaron Sicote and his wife that we have been waiting for this to happen and if this gets put off another 5 years before it is attempted again, how will you feel if kindergarten parents start objecting and now its time for YOUR child to go into the middleschool? I want what is best for all children during their entire education process not just the first year! The same students your child is familiar with now will be the same students who will be mentoring your child for two more years! I truely believe that one of the most important part of a childs education is parent involvement. Be there! Your child will know you care.

I understand everyone has concerns and worries and that is why Eric Ely said let this happen and we will plan the details with the people who it will effect directly!! I think moving the program, students and teachers to Central Park will open them up to new educational experiences, the green houses, trails, ecosystem, playgrounds, iceskating, skiing, and the NASA program that wouldn't otherwise be offered to our middleschool aged students!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 2:58 pm

Your impression is a little off. He said both, early ed. and adult ed. I think both would be great, but reassert, how would families below the poverty
line make use of it? Many don't have transportation. Would Howe on Baker just become another school building elephant?
Have you seen the early ed. places in Schenectady? The one on Craig St. perhaps?

Realism is relative from where you sit? I intend on finding out where the rest of the taxpayers sit on this; the city too.

I appreciate your desire to see accuracy though. On that point we have common ground.

Last edited by Rob on Tue 03 Feb 2009, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 2:59 pm

By the way I live off Upper Union now, my child won the lottery to attend Howe and I'm happy at the idea
of a K-8 Magnet; however, I realistically believe that budget, jobs and the like are in the mix.

We want the rest of the information don't we? Howe on Baker should be treated as a touch-stone and a model.
The building with the program inside is indispensable, and a good example of what an intimate setting does
for a school, any school.

Is it possible to K-8 Howe on Baker as is, but just keep it small?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monday

PostSubject: forum   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 10:22 pm

just got back from the forum at cp. I really wish that people would do their research before coming to the meetings so the questions and answers don't have to be repeated over and over and over!

I only had to hear the proposal once to get the main idea. they want to extend howe to a k-8 facility. In order to do that they have to move to a larger building and are ready to make the adjustments to do so.

let's have faith in our kids people! remember there is a waiting list of families who would love to be a part of this program. you have the choice to change to your home school or a tuition school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suzi

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Tue 03 Feb 2009, 11:46 pm

I went to the meeting tonight and I have to say the K-8 is a great idea but what about my son a 6th grader at Woodlawn we have no choice where to go, maybe I can get in the lottery and by chance a student may drop out, but as stated in the meeting tonight the magnet school ratio is already high so I figure we do not have any shot of getting in being that the 6th and 7th graders at Central Park will continue there, if they choose, but what parent would pull there child from a school which they are familiar with? I also do not understand these parents that are concerned about the "safety issues" but if I heard correctly the only students going to new magnet would be the same ones they have at the current school. My oldest son in curently at Cental Park and he has no "issues' with anyone there and never did the years he has been there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
concerned parent

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Wed 04 Feb 2009, 7:00 am

As a parent of a 5th grader at Howe I thought it was important for me to attend both the meetings at Howe and at Central Park so I could get an understanding of the K-8 proposal and the feelings from the parents of both of these schools.

I have come away with the idea that K-8 sounds like a good plan if all the details over safety, buses, and parking can be worked out.

I also came away with the fact that there is alot of fear over these changes. Parents with younger children are afraid of the influence of the older children and the parents of children getting ready to make that leap to middle school have the fears of letting go of the familiar into the unknown of "the middle school years."

Unfortunately, Mr Ely as you yourself have said."I'm not good at the bonding." So I am not getting the response I would like which is "We will get through this together and it will be a great experience for your children." You may not think that this part is important as long as you answer all our questions, but I believe calming the fears of those of us who entrust our children to the public schools would go a long way to making this proposal a great plan. If I could hear the staff at both schools saying, "Yes, we can do this!" I would feel a whole lot better, but I'm not. They are still processing all of this as we parents are doing.
If I could hear from them that this is a worthy plan I would have more confidence in sending my child to this new and improved school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joshua

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Wed 04 Feb 2009, 8:51 am

Last night’s meeting and this discussion board are nice opportunities to ask questions and express ideas. It is nice to have at least some opportunity to voice our opinions and I hope the board truly is listening to all sides.

While I was there last night I was able to take some guesses as to who matched up with which posting name. They were only guesses, though. I caution others not to make guesses about who is behind the posting names. I respect Aaron S’s decision and the decision of a couple others to use their names here. I also respect the decision others have made – for a variety of reasons – to remain anonymous. Whether you know who someone is or are taking guesses, leave that out of the postings. If you know them, give them a call and talk rather than using this board for that purpose. Let’s keep this discussion board focused on the issues, not the people behind the issues. And let's focus on what people are saying their concerns are, not what you think they're not saying but want to.
The real purpose here is to let the superintendent and the board know our opinions, not to get into squabbles with each other. We may all have different perspectives, but we are all a part of one community. Let’s continue to act like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Involved Parent

PostSubject: class size   Wed 04 Feb 2009, 9:31 am

I am completely in favor of the proposed changes to the International Magnet. I think this will be good for my children, for our family, and for the overall creative and innovative learning environment for all of our children. I do have concerns about class size in the magnets. Mr. Ely has said repeatedly that the district is working hard to reduce class size (an effort I applaud) but at Howe, class sizes remain extremely high. I understand that demand makes this necessary but I wonder about the logic of saying all of the students in the Schenectady School District would benefit from small class sizes, except those in a magnet school environment. Hey, we're happy at Howe but I do think this is an conceern administration should keep in mind in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob

PostSubject: My Child had an Interesting Experience   Wed 04 Feb 2009, 3:41 pm

A sixth grade teacher was out. For some reason or another my child's class
was mingled with sixth or fifth graders. A sixth grade boy approached my child
and asked him a threatening question laced with profanity.

I wouldn't use the words anywhere, but from the following you'll get the idea.
The boy gave my child a choice, asking:
Are you a (profanity for female genetalia) or a looser. My child told
someone in authority but felt nothing was done.

K-8 huh? Yes I want assurances, now - more than ever. Preveiously, Mr. Ely said
that they'd never let 7th and 8th graders mingle with little ones, how will this
be prevented? Please map this out and explain so that everyone gets it.
We need more faculty for this idea to fly, not less.

Understand, I'm not trying to stall an idea that has merit on the face of it, but all the reasons why have to be explained in an impartial way to everyone directly affected . I know some parents have more pull with the SSD than others, but if you are benevolent as you say you are, give us a chance to catch up.

Many families are working two jobs or more. There are single moms who will only know about this
when it hits the paper or news. There are more distractions than anyone can shake a stick at currently. Some parents end their day at 8PM and literally only have an hr. or half hr. to say good night to their school age babies, still, they love them, just as you do yours. We - with the resources, energy, time and capacity to write to this forum and sit at meetings should be fair voices for those who simply can't.

I'm done with this, I have to go to work and help people who really need it.
No hard feelings, see you at school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
A Schdy Lifer

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Wed 04 Feb 2009, 4:15 pm

quote"Rob"A sixth grade teacher was out. For some reason or another my child's class
was mingled with sixth or fifth graders. A sixth grade boy approached my child
and asked him a threatening question laced with profanity.

I wouldn't use the words anywhere, but from the following you'll get the idea.
The boy gave my child a choice, asking:
Are you a (profanity for female genetalia) or a looser. My child told
someone in authority but felt nothing was done.

K-8 huh? Yes I want assurances, now - more than ever. Preveiously, Mr. Ely said
that they'd never let 7th and 8th graders mingle with little ones, how will this
be prevented? Please map this out and explain so that everyone gets it.
We need more faculty for this idea to fly, not less. "

So I don't see the difference....if it happened in the K-6 setting already and you weren't 100% happy with the outcome then what does adding 7th and 8th grade to a school change this. The 7th and 8th grade students will not be sent down to the lower grades if a teacher is absent - There is no reason for this since the K-6 teachers aren't qualified to teach them so adding them to the building isn't going to take away the chance of profanity being shared.

All organized sports have different levels and our older kids are around the younger ones at bowling alleys, baseball fields, football fields and are exposed to it there where there isn't a teacher in charge of 20-24 of them in a closed classroom so I would say that are children attending a k-8 school will be supervised.

I am sure that there was an emergency that happened that caused the sixth grade teacher to be out and I am sorry that your child feels like nothing was done but I am sure that it was handled properly behind close doors at another time. One thing that I know about with our staff is that there are a bunch of things happening in that building and on the buses everyday and each write up needs to be addressed in the order of urgency and if there was one incident that was verbal and one that may have been physical happening at the same time I would hope that the physical one would be done first. I have been there during the day and there are a handful of students in all grade levels including the little guys that I routinely see getting disciplined for their behavior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
un autre prof

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Thu 05 Feb 2009, 12:28 am

This our chance to get the K-8 plan. This would keep our Howe children together longer in a wonderful nurturing porgram. Those of you that want to wait another year or five years don't have a crystal ball and you have no idea what the economic or educational situation will be like down the road. You are taking a stance that will polarize our community. I don't think you understand the damage you are causing. Take off your blinders and get with the program. All the safeguards that are in place now at Howe will be implemented at Central Park. If your problem is the neighborhood, please realize that some of our Howe parents live near Central Park and they are upstanding,hard working folk just like you and me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School   Today at 8:43 am

Back to top Go down

Proposed Changes to Howe Magnet School
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next