Schenectady City School District Forum

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
teachermom

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Sun 01 Mar 2009, 2:55 pm

I am asking those who feel that if the proposal I presented last Wednesday has merit to be looked into further to please contact BOE members and ask them to table their upcoming vote this Wednesday until this can be given equal time as the Superintedent's two proposals. If you are unfamiliar with the proposal it is posted on the discussion board under "Option 3 for the Public's Consideration."

Thank you for any consideration you might give to my request. There is strength in numbers and the more that ask, the more the BOE cannot just ignore this proposal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
E.Connell

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Sun 01 Mar 2009, 5:30 pm

Aren't all but one of the schools in our district K-6? And wasn't that achieved over several years? Why should I get over something that has yet to be explained? The only explanation, which doesn't sit that well with me, is that the parents from Howe are pushing for this. This proposal affects the district as a whole, I never received a survey asking me how I felt. This affects me and my family because our school is Paige, and this proposal affects everyone because we are a district, Howe is not a private school, you do not have to pay to go there.

To say let the magnets go K-8 and figure it all out is absurd! I would like to hear more about if the district plans on or hopes to make K-8 a district goal for all our schools. I guess there is no big fuss if you are a parent of a child at Howe that wants this, maybe you should try to see it from the perspective of the rest other people whose children make up the majority of the district. I for one am not angry over this, I would just like to make sure I am clear on why Howe and what does the future hold for all elementary schools going K-8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SCHDYMOMBORNNRAISED

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Tue 03 Mar 2009, 11:16 pm

As a Mom of 4 children in Schenectady (who go to HOWE) and born and raised here myself I think a k-8 grade school in a great idea. Although I think that HOWE should stay open still as a k-6 grade school and CPMS be made in to another k-8 grade school. That way the children will have a better opportunity to learn with less students in the classroom. When you have 22 students with only 1 teacher you can not honestly say that every student will have the equal attention of the teacher. I give a LOT of credit to all teachers because there jobs are stressful enough without having an overload of students. Also I think that it would be easier on the students to stay in the same school and switch classes when they go into 7th grade then go to a different school altogether. They would also be more prepared to go off to the high school and less stressed about the change because they would have a little more time to mature.
I would also like to say that if the community put as much effort into encouraging our children that they CAN do something and be someone important in life as they did in commenting all these forums we would be a powerful nation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JAG

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Wed 04 Mar 2009, 2:03 pm

I say instead of opening a whole new school, which will cost twice as much, we go with proposal one and move Howe to CP. By the way, Howe does not have small class sizes like the non-magnet schools because of the demand to hold more kids is higher, not sure which grades prior poster's kids are in but mine have 25+ kids usually in theirs, which was also addressed at a meeting, stating the non-magnet schools have less kids per class. Anyway, neither here nor there, tonight we will know and I can't wait to see how those board members up for re-election vote and if it's the same. Best to all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sm12

PostSubject: k-8 proposal   Wed 04 Mar 2009, 3:13 pm

I agree with you JAG, the first proposal is cost effective. It also eliminates the lottery system for all kids across the Board. You are also right
in respect to the classroom sizes at a magnet school. My child's class has 27, and its an upper grade. I understand they can actually go up to 30.
I do want to say the Board Members have a thankless job and they are in a very tough position.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butterball

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Thu 05 Mar 2009, 12:02 pm

Thank you to Board Members Bellick and Farkas for listening to the concerns voiced by the majority and voting "no" to the proposal.

I do pray the proposal will work the way the superintendent thinks it will in solving the problems of the district. I also pray for world peace. Maybe one of the two will happen in my lifetime
Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Thu 05 Mar 2009, 5:28 pm

butterball wrote:
Thank you to Board Members Bellick and Farkas for listening to the concerns voiced by the majority and voting "no" to the proposal.

I do pray the proposal will work the way the superintendent thinks it will in solving the problems of the district. I also pray for world peace. Maybe one of the two will happen in my lifetime
Sad

They voted to move the Howe community to Central Park. They voted for the first proposal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lafeal

PostSubject: Amen Butterball   Thu 05 Mar 2009, 11:22 pm

I'm putting my money on World Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tdrparent

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Fri 06 Mar 2009, 7:12 am

Rob wrote:
They voted to move the Howe community to Central Park. They voted for the first proposal.

Hi Rob,

Mr. Farkas and Ms. Bellick voted against the proposal, not for it. The other five members voted for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butterball

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Fri 06 Mar 2009, 1:54 pm

lafeal wrote:
I'm putting my money on World Peace

Yea. Me too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal   Today at 8:41 am

Back to top Go down

Important Notice, Response to Input and Update to the K-8 Proposal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7